So you’ve decided it is time to sell your house. Here are a few things you can do prior to listing your house that will help you sell your home faster:
- Walkthrough your home and ask yourself, “What would I notice if I were buying this house?” This seems like a simple step but it is often overlooked. We live in our homes for many years and often become accostumed to a number of things that will throw off potential buyers.
- Keep an eye out for any repairs that need to be made. Fixing small surface problems will eliminate things that may distract or concern buyers.
- Declutter your home. This is so important because a cluttered home is hard to sell. Take the time to pack up at least half your belongings – whatever you don’t need to live should be packed for the time being. Not only will your listing photos look better but the house will show better too. You may also want to consider renting a small storage unit during this time – a garage full of boxes will not help your home sell.
- Don’t forget to declutter your closets too. Buyers will be looking at how much storage space your house has and it can be hard to imagine how much room is in a closet that is stuffed to the gills. Pack up at least half of the items in every closet.
- Keep it clean. A large part of this is encompassed in #2 above but make sure that you keep your house clean during the listing period. You never know when a buyer may want to see the place and this will take a lot of the stress out of the situation if they want to come over in an hour and you’re at work.
- Consider updating the home with paint and other small fixes. A new coat of paint can go a long way toward making your home look well-maintained and fresh. Also consider replacing dated light fixtures or cabinet hardware. These little fixes are inexpensive and fast but can really change the entire feel of your house.
Hopefully this will help you get started – Remember that your listing agent should be able to give you additional advice on what you need to do to sell your home faster. Please consider their advice carefully. If they think that it would be beneficial to spend $1000 repainting your house, they’re probably right. Sometimes it is the small investments that will pay off in a big way – namely getting more money for your property and getting it sold faster.
Lambros ERA Real Estate
3011 American Way | Missoula, MT 59808
406.532.9200 | 888.735.SOLD (7653)